Tuesday 18 September 2012

The Bird with the Broken Wing


birds perched on a tree


This happened some time back almost during the time of the last angst autumn. In my evening fiestas I used to gaze at the horizon, I used to strain my eyes as it trailed the changing shades of the sky and merged into the darkness of the night. A particular sight awaited me every day without fail and if it didn’t I seemed deem myself a failure for the afternoon. This mellifluous sight was that of a bird, petite and cute beyond compare. With much energy it filled my evening sky with its wondrous twitter. I am from now on going to refer her as a she for I know not how to find the gender of a bird and it is always much cuter when it is a she.


She was so dainty and yet so active, flying around the sky as if in some desperate pursuit, soothing was her voice, her chatter, her far away tweets. Yet unknown to me she had a heart of lead that weighed on her. I never knew then that all her energy was just a pretend, an act of the eloped. It would be some time since then when the bird would eventually come to rest in my palms and we would share much love and many emotions. But going back to the story, by then she had made herself a humble abode upon my little cherry tree, Indeed the cherry tree was not that little but she was a bit little when viewed in the context of the behemoths that surrounded her in the nearby woods.


As days flew by like the leaves in the autumn, she and I had made an invisible connection. I would often feel like she was talking to me when I heard her distant cooing and I would feel that the eternal dance of hers was but for me to watch. True or not we had got connected in a level of existence in a realm much above the one of common understanding. She had become my pet, neither the one that was bound by the materialistic confines of a cage nor the one whose heart and thought was confined by an authoritarian lease, but my pet nevertheless.


Abstract Bird
But then it had occurred on that day when the fate stood still, as it watched an eternal criss-crossing of destinies when my little bird had got hurt by some despicable evil. Her wings had been clipped, her freedoms curtained, she fell from the sky like a stone on to the heaps of scarlet leafs. She laid there in waiting for my warm hands to cup her and carry her to the warm coziness of my home and to the warmer corners of my heart. There I did dress her would with much love and compassion as if she was my little daughter, that too quiet literally with bandages and ointments that I had. I cared for her, I looked after her and from that day forth till today we spend innumerable evenings discussing and rambling about many a wonderful things during our customary evening siesta.


But then again as she gained my heart bit by bit, I started to dread the reality that was today, an inevitable day that was not in my power to prevent, I would have been cruel and selfish in the past few days praying that she never would get better but then again this was the day for which I had cared for her, the day she could be free once again and adorn my evening sky with her tweeting and ramblings. I know she would never fly far away and I know the cherry tree will forever remain her abode but then you could never tell and this very thought had been haunting me for some time now.


But nevertheless today is here and the day must happen for our destinies were written not now but ages ago. It stood there cupping her in my arms as it ruffled around her petite silhouette. I slowly undid her band aids and held my hands up in the air and with tears rolling down my cheek and sinister thoughts haunting my mind I let her go. I watched her fly away from by hand just like she always did I could feel the instantaneous loss of weight upon my hand. My heart skipped a beat when she skipped a flap of her wings and for that one moment when she appeared to fall my heart leap. But she is the child of freedom, it is in her nature to fly and it was inevitable that she would do that. I always knew that she was destined for freedom, though it is true that I wish she would not but hers is the sky to fly and ones again as I sit back in my chair looking up at the evening sky I knew what we were and how we were to be. 

31 comments:

  1. Incredible writing :) Thanks for sharing. Liked " I slowly undid her band "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tanya. I am really happy that you liked it.

      Delete
  2. Thank you Sridevi. Its more than just a story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mr. Wind. Beautiful piece, yeah! Nice imagery and all. Love the new look of the blog too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You noticed. Thanks D, I was kind of feed up with the old look, I kind of realized that the blog grew up and its look was left out of it.

      Delete
  4. Lovely post!!...Very beautiful narration....Yes, birds symbolize freedom...I liked the way you treated it as pet without caging it...Awesome thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it not always the best way to have a pet, how could one curb the freedom and nature of a creature that you love. After all a bird in the open is more jubilant, more vibrant and make more sense than the one in cage. But I guess that humans are obsessively possessive and that manifests into the cage and the lock.

      Delete
  5. Well narrated and true its more than just a story.. [www.photoblog.ajeethboaz.com]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ajeeth and guessed correct it is much more than a story, actually this one story was written about my best friend and what I hoped I wanted to be for her.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I am glad that it touched you in the same sense it touched me. I guess the story means something to and to me.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful writing, I could visualise it. I always want to write on the similar lines, a bird and me but somehow never find effective words. BTW, the picture in the background of your blog goes well with the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Saru, I do hope you pen down a story in similar lines soon enough. i stumbled on this background sometime back its the only one that keeps the blog description visible.

      Delete
  8. Excellent narration.. Keep up your good works :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. In fact, my heart skipped a beat, reading your lines..Quite experiencing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love lives in freedom and gets lost in bondage doesn,t it?

    Lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it sure does Soma, I am really happy that you liked it.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful description of the magic that evening sky spins.
    As for the entire story, it stole my attention away from the clutter of noises, into the place where I would wait for the birdie to fly in the sky for me.

    Reminds me of the weekends I spend watching all those birds soar the blue heavens while I wish I could fly too..

    Beautiful write up !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my pleasure that I could connect to you in such superficial levels and give you this momentary freedom.

      Delete
  12. Words that sprinkle with a tendency of whisking towards the horizons of freedom !! Felt like you miss someone. Couldn't get the catch on " invisible relation.. " . Great piece of work that makes the reader think...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mr Hill walker, I am pretty sure you are aware how much your words mean to me.

      Delete
  13. awesome writing!
    No word to describe "The birds with broken wing".....

    ReplyDelete

come on! scribble down whats in your heart!